Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 34

Well, after several weeks of introspection and quite a bit of self pity, I'm ready to get myself and my diet back in hand. I discussed the influence of menopause on diet several posts ago. I heard a doctor say that the only reason a woman gained weight once she experiences the "change" is that she is less active and eats more. I do agree with that to some degree. When I was younger, dieting was easier and exercise was a breeze. I've discovered over the last ten years or so that I tend to throw myself into exercise and expect myself to be able to do as much and as well as I did ten or more years prior. When I disappoint myself, I quit. Maybe it is the age I am but I've dealt with a lot of emotional baggage this time around and it really threw me off track for several weeks. Also my entire life is in upheaval at the moment because of changes happening with my work, home and just life in general. It probably hasn't been the best time to start a diet and exercise program as well but then again, I desperately need the extra energy and balance that they provide. The one factor that "male" doctors don't take into consideration about menopause is the fluctuation and sometimes almost absence of hormones. I don't know what's caused it but I can tell that mine are on the war path of imbalance at the moment. I feel as if I have extreme PMS. I am tired all of the time, I ache all over, I'm depressed and sad, and trying to control my emotions is like trying to catch a lone pea in a pot of boiling water. My time of month use to be the true test of any diet. If I could make it through, I was good but the odds were against me. I'm feeling a bit like that again but the fact that I'm still keeping up with this diary of my journey gives me hope that I'll finally triumph. So, no, I don't think doctors know what they are talking about when it comes to diet and menopause. Perhaps the fact that we slow down has a lot to do with it but they never ask, why do we slow down? It's like I've been saying during this roller coaster ride of a diet I'm attempting, in order to change, you have to get to the root of the problem that brought you here in the first place and to get to the root takes a lot of digging and getting dirty in the process but like digging for hidden treasure, it will be worth it in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment