Friday, November 4, 2011

And I wonder why I can't sleep.....

I was watching a TV program a few nights ago and one of the characters became obsessed with death when he noticed that his Sports Illustrated life time subscription ran out in 2033. He goes on the computer and checked out a site called DeathClock.com, a site which supposedly calculates the exact date that you will meet your demise and your maker. When he put in his stats, he got the exact same date which makes for good comedy. The not so funny thing is, this site actually exists. I'm sure it's just for entertainment purposes but it still is a bit morbid especially considering how almost everyone past forty is actually obsessed with death and dying. So, what did I do but check it out; I couldn't help myself.

Unlike the TV sitcom version which asked if the participant brushes and flosses regularly, the real Death Clock only asks for four pieces of information: your date of birth, your outlook on life (optimist, pessimist, or neutral), whether or not you smoke and your BMI. It actually has a disclaimer that goes on and on about how obesity kills and that losing weight and exercising can significantly extend your life. The first time I tried it, I put in my actual BMI, knowing that I do need to drop more than a few pounds. My date of death was announced as January 18th, 2033. There must be something about that date. Maybe it's the end of time because it certainly seems like a lot of us are kicking the bucket in that year! January 18th also happens to be my husband's birthday. It would be a lousy gift to have your wife die on your birthday but Steve says it doesn't matter since the "Clock" has him perishing six years prior to that date anyway.

I know this is all a bunch of nonsense but with all of the talk about how being unfit and fat increases your chances of dying, I thought I'd put in a really low BMI and see how many extra years of life it added. So I did and............it added a little under two years......!!??  So, I starve myself and work my butt off and I don't even get an extra two lousy years??? I was more than a bit upset...even though I do know it is all nonsense....until my friend Daryl Lunsford (I love the way his brain works!) pointed something out to me, "Remember, though...every year, the Death Clock is in Daylight Savings Time for 6 months, so every November you get that back. 22 years of that amounts to another 11 years, so you're looking at 33 years minimum right off the bat. And then there's Leap Years... :-D" Like I said, I do love the way he thinks.:)

And before all of your avid dieters who are working so hard to lose the deadly weight get your dander up at me, I am still trying to be good. I'm at least moving more and I have good intentions with the food. My current problem lies in this busy time of year when I'm doing my best to pull everything together so I can end this year in the black. Consequently, Steve has been doing the grocery shopping. He's pretty good with picking up what's on the list but he always supplements the list with other items that he likes and he knows, I love. So, after sleeping in this morning....will explain that later...., I made us a breakfast of sausage (turkey at least), eggs (three a piece...yikes!...but I do love eggs), biscuits (which I coat with butter spray and garlic before baking), fresh tomatoes (yeh! for healthy;-), and some potatoes that I put on last night and by the time we woke up are now potato mush so I topped them with cheese to disguise that fact. My, oh my!! So, I think it is time I bite the bullet and manage to make it to the grocery store myself this weekend to buy some healthier fare.

This Sunday will be my 56th birthday. I was hoping to lose more weight before that date but that's not happening so I've decided that it will be the day that I finally get back in the saddle, quite literally, for the first time in nearly two years. It's a long story that I won't go into but I had a bad fall from my horse Mouse six years ago. It has been a long journey trying to overcome my fear of riding after that. I thought I had it whipped a couple of years ago but then it seemed that everything happened to keep me from riding and the more time that went by that I hadn't ridden, the more fearful I became. I came to the realization last week that I'm dealing with geldings now and they are both pretty laid back. Django can be a bit spooky but he's very easy to control when he does spook and generally does nothing more than a bit of hopping. Mouse on the other hand is an unpredictable mare or maybe she's actually a predictable mare since she is the best horse you'd ever want to ride most of the time but when she comes into season, watch out! I've said that I can identify with that. My days of monthly mood swings are long past now but I do remember becoming almost homicidal at times over the smallest offense. So, I can understand Mousie and her not wanting to be saddled much less ridden at certain times but these boys are boys. I don't think I have anything to worry about with them. They are not going to try and take over control while I'm in the saddle and I know that I can handle the situation if something does startle them and takes their attention away from me. So, last night's heavy rain should be dried up by my birthday on Sunday and I plan to ride my horse, Django, as a birthday gift to me. Too many beautiful autumn days have come and gone unridden and Django wants to be ridden (he is a lovable but obviously strange horse, lol.)

Now, finally, the reason that Steve and I both slept in today. My reason is the same old, same old. I woke up hurting around 1am and then couldn't get back to sleep. I could have washed the dinner dishes that were still in the sink or cleaned house a bit but instead, I sat in here and played Words With Friends and HotShots on Facebook until nearly 4am when I finally decided to try bed again.
I had just settled back into bed when I heard this horrible commotion and someone shouting angrily and it sounded as if it was right in front of our house. I woke Steve up, as much to stop his snoring as to get his help, and the two of us crept out of bed and toward the bedroom in the front of the house so that we could see what was going on. When I reached the hall, the direction of the noise seemed to change and I realized that it was coming from the kitchen not outside. Not to worry, it wasn't a burglar and I knew the source of the racket. When TV switched to digital, the little TV in our kitchen no longer picked up a signal so I hooked it to my little used laptop and transformed it into a monitor. I thought that I'd use them to monitor my diet....talk about good intentions....but mainly, I watch TV and movies on them while I cook and clean in the kitchen. We've recently discovered why the laptop has been burning through batteries at an alarming rate (especially considering that a battery is over a hundred bucks), the lid does not close completely and the computer will stay on even when closed unless you completely shut it down. Lately, it has mysteriously been turning itself and TV and movie back on even when it's closed. What I can't figure out about last night, when it was a very loud police program that was making all of that noise, is how did the TV also turn back on?? I turned both off before I went to bed last night. Also, how did the computer start that police program when I had paused the sitcom, The Middle, before closing it and the page was still closed? There was another page that had been opened and the police show was playing on it. Sooooo, the good news is, there wasn't a bloody gun battle happening on my front lawn last night. The bad news, our resident ghost evidently has developed a passion for late night TV viewing and loud, violent shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment