Thursday, February 23, 2012

Flavor

I've discovered that when you have to cut food out of your diet because of restrictions for weight loss or because of food allergies and intolerances, the best way to keep from feeling totally deprived (We've discussed at length and ad nauseam how difficult it has been to give up foods which contain gluten especially when you are dining out or preparing a meal for guests...and I haven't even attempted a meal at a friend's home yet.) is to make the foods you can eat not only as fresh as possible but also as interesting as possible to stave off boredom....which we all know leads to over eating. The problem that presents is, how do we make the foods delectable and interesting without adding unwanted calories?

Well, I discovered a recipe this week which I think answers both of those criteria. First, I have to say that I love roasted vegetables. The way the flavor is not only enhanced but changed constantly amazes me and I'm always in search of new vegetables to roast. I do love to pour on the olive oil though and I know I add tons of calories and fat grams because I mix olive oil with minced garlic, seasonings and parmesan cheese which I pour liberally over the vegetables before putting them in the oven. I have to admit, it is always soooo good but not necessarily the healthiest preparation. Still, I'm not a huge fan of steamed vegetables and I probably eat three times as many vegetables when I roast them than I would steamed. Here however is a way to prepare our old standby potatoes and probably any vegetable that sounds not only luscious but low fat and healthy. I would suggest substituting the precooked and leaner bacon that you can buy at the store. Other than that just prepare, cook and enjoy!

Bacon Ranch Foil Packet Potatoes
adapted from Mrs. Ca Cooks

3 sheets of heavy-duty foil
10-12 baby red potatoes, thinly sliced
6 slices of cooked and crumbled bacon
1 packet ranch dressing mix
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons butter
Sour cream for serving, if desired

1. Spray each sheet of foil with cooking spray. Top each piece with equal portions of potatoes, bacon, and ranch dressing mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to each serving. Wrap securely.

2. Grill for 20 to 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve in foil, topped with sour cream if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment