Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Good Morning

The Daily Health Challenge for today was to evaluate the nutritional value of your morning cereal. Because of the Celiacs, the only cereal that I can safely eat because it is truly gluten free is Steel Cut Oats which is often called Irish Oatmeal. This is a good thing because we love it. It takes longer to cook than regular oats so I cook it overnight in a slow cooker with either apples or blueberries added with part of the four cups of liquid coming from either apple or blueberry juice. Usually, this is sweet enough that it doesn't require much extra sugar. I think my husband could do without any added sugar but I have a sweet tooth. So, in the morning, when we wake up not only to a wonderful aroma (especially when I add a dash of cinnamon) but a warm breakfast, I add about a teaspoon of sugar, a dash of salt (a trick my mom taught me because it balances the flavors), and now, butter buds instead of real butter  and serve. My husband likes to top his off with walnuts, too. I would have to calculate the nutritional facts with the fruit, nuts and other flavorings added but straight steel cut oats have: 4grams of fiber, 5 grams of protein, 1gram of sugar and 2.5 grams of fat.

I do plan to make this for tomorrow's breakfast but this morning, we had saute'd mushrooms, baby spinach and garlic topped with scrambled eggs and mozzarella cheese....delicious and nutritious!

I know I've shared this before but here is the recipe for the overnight Irish oatmeal:
1 cup Irish oatmeal (also called steel cut oats), 3 cups water, 1 cup juice (I usually use either pure apple or pure blueberry), all of the chopped apple or whole blueberries that you want or a combination of the two (I usually use frozen blueberries unless I find a really good deal on the fresh.) and a dash of salt to balance the flavors (a trick my mama taught me:) all in the slow cooker overnight on low.

No comments:

Post a Comment