Friday, May 25, 2012

A Drinking Song

I've been absent for a few days because I accidentally glutened myself. Not only did I have the usual and expected stomach pain but I also got the achy joints and burning, tingly, itchy skin with this "attack." Consequently, thanks to those last reactions, I haven't been sleeping well. I usually don't get over three hours sleep each night. I've been dragging around for days accomplishing little but yesterday, I really hit the wall. I ended up at the grocery store buying not only the Ibuprofen that I'd been out of for several weeks but also a sleep aid. I fell asleep within 30 minutes of taking the sleep aid and then Steve woke me up...aaargh. The sleep aid had the same effect on me that many cold and allergy medicines do, when I woke up, I felt hyper and nervous and possibly in more pain than I was before. I tossed and turned for a while and finally got up and took an Ibuprofen tablet. I worried about combining the two pills but by that point, I was past caring. I fell asleep in a few minutes and slept eight solid hours! Yahoo! So, today I actually believe my daily affirmation, this is a day full of possibilites!

I've begun reading Bob Harper's (trainer from the Biggest Loser TV show) book, The Skinny Rules. I'm only on the first chapter but I can already recommend this book for its content and wealth of information. The rules are meant to replace bad habits with good. The first rule, drink a large glass of water before every meal. Seems easy enough but it does so much. Not only will it help me to break my bad habit of thinking I need food to accompany every beverage I drink but it's also been proven that just drinking water will increase our body's burning of calories by 25%! That translates to about 3 pounds of fat loss a year. That may not seem like much but three pounds gone is three pounds gone and just from drinking water! He also suggests mixing up a large pitcher of water to go in your frig. Mine will be mixed with either cranberry juice (pure, slightly bitter but I've developed a taste for it) or lemon/limes. Bob also suggested adding a nutrient and mineral supplement called Electro-Mix. This will be perfect for Steve since he works out in the hot sun often and needs electrolytes.

No comments:

Post a Comment