Sunday, May 6, 2012

Lesson Learned the FAT Way

I just started my food diary yesterday. It's main purpose is to keep me honest and aware but I knew that I would also learn so much by writing down every food that I put in my mouth and their details. I didn't however realize that my first lesson would come so soon or be so painful. I have a bad habit that I need to break...mid afternoon pick-me-ups of junk food, usually sweet, that just as quickly, let me down again. One of these cravings hit this afternoon and I remembered that I had some Kind Fruit and Nut bars I'd picked up on my last trip to the grocery store. I wish I'd read the label before I wolfed down the bar in about four bites and ten unfulfilling seconds. When I did sit down to record the ingredients, I nearly fainted when I read the fat content. Out of the 210 calories, 150 are from fat! That's 16 grams of fat and 2 of them are saturated. My stomach was doing back flips by the time I got in the last detail. It's too late for anything but remorse now but I do know that "food" is no longer part of my diet or my grocery lists. How dare they market these as healthy? Evidently they are low in sodium but I'd think that much fat would kill you before the salt would.

No comments:

Post a Comment