Sunday, May 27, 2012

One Dish Meal...Chicken, Cream Cheese, Mushrooms and Broccoli

I came up with a delicious recipe tonight....even if I do say so myself, haha. Steve backs me up on it; he just kept saying, "This is very good!" The old proverb says, necessity is the mother of invention. So, I had  the necessity of a half a block of cream cheese and half a pack of chicken breast tenders (about six) left over from another recipe and both needed to be used. I lightly sprayed a casserole dish with oil. I pounded out the chicken until it was wafer thin (I covered it with parchment first just to keep down the mess) and layered it in the bottom of the casserole. Then I cut the half block of (low fat) cream cheese into cubes and put it in the blender with a little garlic powder, minced garlic and a basil and garlic herb blend and just a little chicken broth (maybe 1/4 cup.) I blended until it was smooth and then poured the mixture over the chicken. I topped that with about two cups of sliced mushrooms and broccoli florets. Then I mixed, by hand, some more minced garlic (but this was the type in a tube that you get at the grocery) with 1/4 cup olive oil and I poured that over the top of the mushrooms and broccoli. I baked it all, uncovered, in a 450 degree oven for about 45 minutes. Five minutes before the timer went off, I sprinkled some shredded cheese (cheddar/mozzarella mix) over the top and allowed it to melt. I served it with mashed potatoes. It was delicious. I wish I had photos to show you but maybe next time. We were both wolfing this down as soon as it hit our plates!

No comments:

Post a Comment