Monday, November 12, 2012

A Month of Thanksgiving

Gratitude for November 12, 2012:

I have several dear friends who are going through struggles at the moment and need your prayers. Each of these people have given me so much and added so much to my life whether they know it or not. I truly believe that everyone who enters or touches our lives is given to us for a purpose. There have been times that I almost selfishly believed that I was the gift to these friends, that it was my pu
rpose being fulfilled by what I could add to their lives, how I could help them but I was wrong. I am the one who has been blessed by each of these friendships by the gift of the inclusion of each of these amazing people in my life. One has taught me about strength, one about sacrifice, one about extreme faith, one about courage, one about acceptance and one about love and friendship and in turn, they've each taught me all of these lessons because they all possess these traits, these gifts, these talents. 
One of them in particular has been like a father to me and yet he has given me love and acceptance and support and encouragement that I never knew from my own father. We've only known each other for eight years and only became the closest of friends during the last four years but it feels as if we've always known each other. I am so grateful for the gift of him and all of his friendship and wisdom. 
Life is odd and as I look back over my 57 years on this earth, I'm amazed by how large my learning curve has been at times but when you're young, you're not even aware that you're being tutored with life's experiences much less by the people you share that life with.
First Corinthians 13:11-12, "When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known." 
I use to think about those two verses a lot when I was young and ponder their meaning. Now, I am older and do understand. I know who I am now, I know who my friends are, and I know and am so grateful for everything they add to my life. Life isn't always pretty, it isn't always sunny and happy. The glass clouds over a lot more as you age. There is more loss, there is more pain but somehow both make the times of joy sweeter, your appreciation stronger for all of the blessings and people in your life. 
I pray to God each morning for each of my friends. For those in need and pain, whether it's physical or emotional, I pray for healing, I pray for strength, I pray for courage, I pray for comfort, I pray for acceptance for them and for me. I also start my morning prayer by thanking God each day for each and every one of the people who have made my life fuller and better by their presence in it. They are my gratitude for today.

No comments:

Post a Comment