Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Shake, Shake, Shimmy

Started my diet this morning. I know, I know....I've said time and again that I don't believe in diets and just believe in eating healthy. I have been including lots more vegetables in my diet lately and I've been trying to eliminate all junk food and watch portion size....BUT the pounds keep creeping up. I'm up nearly five pounds and back to my "pre-flu" weight. Also, I still feel like a slug and I really need to start not only moving with exercise but moving on both the work that needs to be done on this house and on getting my art work back on track. I guess I felt that I needed a kickstart and I'm hoping that this cleansing diet will do that.

This morning kicked off with a protein shake full of healthy fruit: fresh cranberries and pomegranate and frozen blueberries. I added water and pure cranberry juice and Almased protein powder. I've never used the Almased before but a friend used it to start her diet and had great success with it. The pure cranberry juice and cranberries made it a bit tart which is just how I like it. I thought it was delicious and quite filling.

I have been splurging a bit lately with the diet. Steve's birthday was on Friday and I baked a cake for him, gluten free chocolate with coconut-pecan icing. It was yummy! Then, on Sunday, I made a mish-mash let's clean out the frige meal. I used a neglected eggplant to make a favorite of mine, eggplant parmesan. I used gluten free bread crumbs to coat the eggplant. It was delicious! We also had the last two pieces of the roasted chicken from last week, mashed potatoes, and another favorite, saute'd cabbage with pepper and bacon. It was an odd combination of foods but it was very satisfying. I told Steve that the combo of the eggplant parmesan and mashed potatoes reminded me of something my mom use to make for me. When I was in the third grade, we had a tyrannical teacher who terrorized us. These were the days when we were told that the teacher was always right even though this one obviously wasn't. So, I didn't tell Mama what was going on at school or how I lay in bed and cried every night from fear and dread. But my mom was just the best mom in the whole world because she sensed that something was wrong. Since she couldn't prise the cause out of me, she decided to at least treat the symptoms. Everyday, when I returned from school, there was a hot meal waiting for me. Daddy didn't get home until around six so my mom's excuse for these afternoon meals was the long wait between lunch and dinner. She'd make me mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetable soup, creamed peas and cubed potatoes but my favorite meal was tomato sauce topped spaghetti with mashed potatoes on the side. I know that sounds strange but you should try it sometime. It is actually a delicious combo and extremely comforting as well. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment