Friday, February 15, 2013

Gluten Attack

The pain woke me up in the middle of the night...gluten attack! At least, that's what I call them when my body lets me know that I've consumed some gluten. I didn't know what the cause was. Yesterday, was of course, Valentines Day and I told Steve that I wanted to eat at home instead of going out. I'd bought some steaks on sale at Ingles and I was ready to indulge in that rare treat....not only do we seldom eat red meat but the price of beef these days keeps me on a mainly fish and poultry diet,haha, since one of them is on sale every week. But the steak was too good to pass up and since it was new to my diet, I was convinced it was the culprit. I just read however that grain fed beef does not contain gluten because the grain is converted to protein by the cow's body. So, I looked at the other foods I had: roasted parmesan potatoes (potatoes, onion, garlic, Mrs Dash which is garlic free, olive oil, fresh rosemary, grated parmensan), tossed green salad (hint, the culprit was here) and fruit salad made from fresh pineapple and strawberries. I've been eating the salads for days and yesterday, I had two. Yesterday, I also started getting strange pin pricks of pain in my upper abdomen. I wondered what it was but it wasn't horrible pain so I just ignored it. Turns out that the salad dressing mix that I thought was gluten free is not. Reading labels is not always sufficient in ruling out gluten in foods. I imagine that the gluten is either hidden in those long words or else, it was cross contamination in the manufacturing process. I googled it and found my answer this morning after a sleepless night and excruciating pain for several hours. I now feel like someone has been punching me but I think I will live. I am grateful it wasn't the beef. It may be a rare indulgence but it was sooooo good.

No comments:

Post a Comment