Friday, March 1, 2013

DAY 1 ~ March 1st

Well, the first day of the month seemed like as good a time as any to start my new diet. I feel a bit like Bridget Jones except this is the life of a wandering, wondering fifty-something instead of a thirty-something. My life does not revolve around ciggies, vodka and a revolving door of bad relationships with bad boys. Instead, it circles around my horses, my house, my work, my weight and aging body. Yes, my husband was not included in that list and no, that is not because he doesn't count in my life, he counts very much, thank you. But, after nearly forty years of marriage and over forty years together...by one anyway...if we haven't worked out all the kinks in our relationship by now, we never will. Not to say that we can't still get under each other's skin or that we don't know where each of our emotional buttons lie but we care enough and are kind enough not to push them very often these days. Now, our younger years were far different and would probably have made for much more exciting and stimulating reading but these days are far more comforting and appreciated. So, expect the daily diet and exercise diary and tales of the exploits of my horses but don't expect an edge of your seat thrill ride. That's just not where I'm at right now. I am still searching for the same things in life at fifty-seven as I was at thirty-seven, balance, peace, fulfillment, accomplishment....I'm just doing it all at a slower pace.

So, today starts the diet. I weighed in at a whopping 207.8 pounds. I am ashamed to admit that but if I work hard, maybe I can show a big change by April 1st. The day has started off with a protein shake consisting of protein powder (of course), beets and beet juice (supposed to supply incredible energy), frozen blueberries, half a pomegranate (seeds), two teaspoons of maca powder (supposed to have all sorts of healthy benefits including an increase in the female libido...those women past fifty will know why that's important), pomegranate juice and water. I had a banana with that and in the future, I may add more vegetables in the form of spinach, cucumbers and avocados. As for taste, make it cold enough and add a banana and you won't care too much but honestly, it wasn't bad. I found the taste nice and refreshing... now the smell, that's another matter but since I passed menopause my olfactory sense is working on hyper-power and odors I once found pleasant are now off putting to say the least. The odor of the maca powder is somewhere between cucumbers and ocra but I think I can bear it once a day.

I won't be adding up my calories until the end of the day. This week is just to get myself and my body in the swing of things. The first week, you have small meals every three hours to stimulate your metabolism and keep it operating at full capacity. You also are supposed to drink a glass of water before each meal and during each meal. That, I forgot to do this morning but I will remember it at the next one which is in about an hour. I should also start my exercise this week but I'm still cleaning out the clutter in the house....I'll cover that another time....but I hope I can soon start at least walking for thirty minutes to an hour every day. Weigh in is just once a week. My weigh in day will be Friday. And  so, for now, that's it. I will check in and add to this post at the end of the day to let everyone know just how well I stuck to the plan.

Yahooo! Here we go......I have a feeling it's going to be a very bumpy ride. :)     

No comments:

Post a Comment