Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Gluten Free Diet...Truly!


This is the diet I try to follow but I need to do it even more religiously than I already do. I did stumble last week when I stopped at a restaurant and ordered a chicken salad expecting it to be grilled. When it arrived breaded, I ate it anyway. I did this against my better judgement. I was hungry and after a year, I was so tired of the gluten ban. I have paid for this for over a week and I wonder just how much damage I did to my villi. I truly wonder if it also isn't why, indirectly via a weakened immune system, I feel so badly today. Anyway, the following is taken from an article about the tiny amounts of gluten that the government regulations allow even in so called "gluten free" foods. So, they put a group of people who thought they'd been eating gluten free but still were experiencing symptoms on this extremely pure diet:

"Six of the people included (including the three with negative blood tests but ongoing intestinal damage) met the criteria for refractory celiac disease at the start of the study. Nonetheless, the researchers hypothesized that they didn't have refractory celiac disease at all; instead, the trace gluten commonly found in processed foods (especially grain-based products) was preventing them from healing and feeling better.

For three to six months, the study subjects ate only fresh fruits and vegetables, fresh meats, poultry and fish, eggs, unflavored dairy products and rice. They were allowed to have oil, vinegar, honey and salt, and could drink 100% fruit and/or vegetable juice, Gatorade, milk or water.

At the end of the study, 14 out of the 17 had responded to this diet, which the researchers dubbed the "Gluten Contamination Elimination Diet," and five of the six who had met the criteria for refractory celiac no longer did."

No comments:

Post a Comment