Friday, March 22, 2013

Gratitude

The DHC challenge for today was all about showing gratitude. I do this all of the time. My mother used to tell me not to save my flowers for the dead because they can't appreciated them. She told me to tell people we love them, we are proud of them, we admire them while they are alive and that lesson stuck. I've reached out to old friends, old teachers, people I've worked with and even the occasional stranger and complimenting them, saying thank you, saying I love you always seems to put a smile on their face. Recently, I've had several people in my life who are dealing with cancer. Many of them are terminal while others will be dealing with the cancer and will "have" it for the rest of their lives. I'm hoping that some of them will beat this awful disease and live very long, healthy lives after this battle is over. Each and every one of them is my hero and I regularly tell them how proud I am of them. I watch them handle this with such grace and with so much faith and courage far more than I could probably muster in the same situation. I am very proud of all of them and I'm prouder still to call them friend, to call them sister, to call them my adopted "cyber" brother. For a while, as one after the other received this horrible diagnosis, I truly struggled with why this was happening to so many people I cared about. Awful as it sounds, I think I was feeling sorry for me. Then I realized what a blessing each of them was to my life and how inspiring their strength and overwhelming faith was and I thanked God and thanked them all for being a part of my life. They've given me far more than they've ever taken.

No comments:

Post a Comment