Tuesday, April 2, 2013

April 1st


No April Fools jokes for me yesterday. Instead the first day of the month marked me taking huge strides to get my life under control and back in balance. First, I rejoined Spark People,  sparkpeople.com, a free site that offers not only emotional support through forums and challenges but FREE health, nutrition and fitness monitors to help you track your progress and stay on track with your diet. I have to say that I did much better than I thought I would with the nutrition tracker. I'd fixed my butter baked shrimp again....it is soooo good (short recipe: I used half butter and half coconut oil about a cup, melted in the oven in a large casserole, topped with sliced lemon, a pound of shrimp, and a packet of your favorite dressing mix, baked at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. Last night, I added garlic and snow peas, too.) and I was certain that the calories and fat in it would push me over my daily limits. Fortunately, I was good enough the rest of the day to allow myself this small, delicious indulgence but I did forgo the cheesy rice I had planned for the side and settled for a green salad with homemade, lowfat Ranch dressing. Here is what my tracker looked like yesterday(note I forgot to add the dressing at dinner but I have enough spare calories left to cover it):


CALORIES
CARBSFATPROTEINADD MORE NUTRIENTS
CALORIESCARBSFATPROTEIN
Totals:    1,011162956
Your Daily Goal:    1,200 - 1,550135 - 25227 - 6060 - 136
Remaining Today:    189 - 539119 - 2360 - 314 - 80

Some even better news, I exercised (walked/hiked cross country, up and down hills) not once yesterday but twice! That doesn't seem like a major accomplishment to most people, I'm sure but to me, I just cleared my first obstacle with air underneath me....Yay me!! The first hill on the first walk, I was sure I was going to drop dead but I kept pushing through the pain and every subsequent hill got easier and easier. I'm really excited about this great start and I woke up today feeling refreshed, happy and ready to take on a new day. It's been a long time since I've felt that way. I've decided with both diet and exercise that I'm taking it easy and not taking on too much at first but hopefully I will gradually start doing more and more to with each passing week to exchange bad habits for good.

I also joined a challenge on Spark People, "A Pound a Week for 13 Weeks." Final weigh in is July 3rd and I hope that I exceed the pound a week goal but even if I don't make it, just the effort will leave me in better shape than I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment