Sunday, April 7, 2013

Powdered Buttermilk to the Rescue!

I really don't like most of the non-fat ranch dressings that are available on the grocery shelves. I haven't made my own because I don't drink milk...and certainly not buttermilk (I hate the stuff except in salad dressing. Once, when I was a kid, my mom served me a glass of it by mistake and I spit...no spewed!...it out over the entire dinner table full of food and all of the people sitting around me.)....enough to warrant keeping it on hand just to throw 80% of it out. Then I had a rare spark of genius, lol.... powdered buttermilk! I ordered a bag of it last week and today, I used it to mix up a dressing for my lunch salad: 1/4 cup water, 1 T. powdered buttermilk, about a 1/4 cup non-fat yogurt (preferably Greek but I just had plain today), and about 1/2 a pack of Hidden Valley dry mix (I may try making my own mix in the future but I had this half used packet on hand).........IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! I loved it! Mixing it myself allowed me to control the thickness, texture and taste. In other words, all of my objections to the store bought dressings. Why didn't I think of this before now? So much wasted time, money and taste buds but my "sparks of genius" are, unfortunately, quite rare. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment