Thursday, August 8, 2013

DAY 13

Day 13?....I'm not overly superstitious but huh oh. Finally had an epiphany this morning about where this unaccounted weight has come from. What has been different about the last few months? One thing that I've had in abundance....and no, it is not the Talenti's Salted Caramel Gelato. The word I was looking for is stress. Yes, I knew it would happen one day, my family has made me fat!

All joking aside, does anyone know how to lose like...mmmm....seventy-five pounds in two days? There has to be some crash diet out there that offers results like that.....heeehee. Seriously though, my next high school class lunch is on Saturday and there are people attending who I haven't seen in nearly 40 years. They won't believe how old I've gotten much less how fat. I'm sure they all look just like they did in high school. Reminds me what my friend Jane said about attending out first class lunch (we have at lest one a year.) Jane said that they told her what room we were in at the restaurant but when she walked up and looked in the room she thought, "That's a bunch of old people. That can't be them." lol Sadly true, it's like the John Prine song so beautifully sung by Bonnie Raitt, "her old man is another child that's grown old." Yesterday at the grocery store a woman ordered her son to get out of my way and told him he knew better than to step out in front of an older lady. She kept emphasizing the older part. Sheesh, she wasn't exactly a new Spring chick. And there I was feeling good about myself because I'd gotten this new haircut. Paula and I spent a long while pouring over her hairstyle books deciding on the cut. I LIKES it! Paula is the best! And she isn't just an amazing hairstylist but a wonderful friend and person. Love her. :)
So, my challenge today is to finally finish the assignments for one of my classes. I have paying work that needs doing, too but there is no more time on this class work. They are all due in by next Wednesday. Which brings me to something else and certainly something I wish I could flip during this 30 days of change challenge I've given myself. Artistic procrastination:
My DHC Challenge is to walk faster than usual for five minutes and then practice "belly breathing." The challenges lately have been well, challenging for out of shape me but this one, I might be able to conquer!
How to do it
After 5 minutes of walking at your typical speed, walk quickly for a few minutes until you're at a pace that has you breathing faster than normal. As you breathe and continue your walk, focus on using your diaphragm, the muscle between your abdomen and your chest. To figure out if you are belly breathing properly, place one hand on your abdomen and one hand on your chest. For each breath you take, the hand on your belly should move, while the hand on your chest should remain still. If your belly fills up like a balloon when you inhale, you're doing it right! Return to your normal speed at least 5 minutes before your walk ends for a quick cool-down period.
Daily Challenge
Why it matters
Want to get a lung up on your walking workout? Strengthening your respiratory system can improve your endurance, allowing you to walk farther without fatigue. When walking and running, most people revert to shallow, rapid breathing. But using your diaphragm carries more oxygen to your muscles, and as a result, your legs and arms tire less quickly, too. Breathing deeply also reduces stress and enhances relaxation.
And finally, RULE 8...Start being more polite to yourself. – If you had a friend who spoke to you in the same way that you sometimes speak to yourself, how long would you allow that person to be your friend? The way you treat yourself sets the standard for others. You must love who you are or no one else will......what would I do? Well in the past, I just put up with it but lately, I'm learning to stand up for myself and walk away. Sadly, the walking away part is the hardest because I upset them so by just saying I wouldn't accept them talking to me that way that they were the ones who turned their back on me. Oh well......definitely their loss. 

No comments:

Post a Comment