Monday, September 23, 2013

Fear Versus Joy.....

Rule 7 in the 30 Things to Stop Doing to Yourself: Stop being scared to make a mistake. – Doing something and getting it wrong is at least ten times more productive than doing nothing.  Every success has a trail of failures behind it, and every failure is leading towards success.  You end up regretting the things you did NOT do far more than the things you did...... I read an article not too long ago in which several of the top business people and entrepreneurs in the country were interviewed. When asked the secret to their success, almost all of them said, past failures. They said that it wasn't just not giving up and getting back up and trying again but learning from your mistakes and failures and viewing them as  stepping stones not  stumbling blocks. There have been many times in my life when I've been afraid of taking that next step or trying again. Nearly everyone in my life or at least the people who know me best have told me that I over analyze, over think everything. I tend to either talk myself out of taking a chance or petrify myself with the fear of what could happen. A very wise friend told me once...well actually multiple times until I finally listened to him ;) ..... things can just as easily go right as wrong. I did eventually hear him and I realized that all of the times that things had gone wrong in my life all had eventually worked out for the good in the end. When that epiphany finally hit me, I lost all of my fear and anxiety. I'd been terrified of riding again after a bad fall many years ago but on the day I realized that, in my entire life, my worst fears had rarely been realized, I got on a horse again with not only confidence and zero fear but joy! Letting go of our fears is so freeing and most importantly, it frees us to feel joy. In my mind, joy and fear are polar opposites and so can not exist on the same plane. This is one case where you absolutely can not have one without letting go of the other. So, I choose joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment