Friday, September 20, 2013

Rule number 5: Stop trying to be someone you’re not. – One of the greatest challenges in life is being yourself in a world that’s trying to make you like everyone else.  Someone will always be prettier, someone will always be smarter, someone will always be younger, but they will never be you.  Don’t change so people will like you.  Be yourself and the right people will love the real you.

I think that I was miserable for many years when I should have been very happy because I didn't know who I was. I kept trying to be the person that I thought everyone expected me to be or the person that I wanted to be but thought I never really could be. I think this has been a trend with me because I often made the people in my life into who I wanted them to be in my mind and perception. When I finally found out who they really were, I was often disappointed, even hurt because they didn't live up to my expectations or they did something totally out of the character that I'd built around them. It was the same with myself, I never could live up to the expectations in my head. I guess I wanted a perfect world with perfect inhabitants and that was never going to be because we're all only human. We've all got our baggage and our insecurities. We are all very much alike in so many ways, despite our diverse backgrounds and the direction our journey has taken us. I spent most of my life feeling as if I was less than everyone else but trying to convince everyone, including myself, that I was a perfect person with the perfect life. I ended up feeling ashamed and embarrassed when I realized people were seeing through my facade and even more so for carrying around what I thought was the truth of who I was. Now, I finally realize that I am much more than who I thought I was and although different, I'm just as good as who I pretended to be... maybe even better because, in life as in art, there is nothing better than an original. I'm finally beginning to treasure myself for who I am because I am finally the unique and original creation that I always wanted to be. I'm embracing all of the many facets of my life, even the parts I was once ashamed of. I feel as if I'm finally becoming the true me. I may be a bit weathered and scarred from my journey but those things only enhance my patina and the beauty of my heart, soul and mind. We are each a unique work of art. I'm beginning to think that the secret of life is unearthing the treasure that is us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment