Saturday, October 19, 2013

Walk It Off!

I've been getting good test results on all of my health tests and I'm responding well to the meds that I was given. The only problem so far is an elevated blood sugar. I was told that my long term blood sugar was normal but I read an article from the Harvard Health Letter, that said even moderate, non-diabetic elevations can lead to dementia and lessened brain function. There is good news though and that is why I'm sharing all of this here.

This is what the article, written by Harvard Health Letter editor Heidi Godman, had to say about getting your blood sugar levels under control, "What if your blood sugar is above normal? There’s good news in that department: You can lower your blood sugar by exercising and, if needed, losing weight. Shifting to a healthier diet with more vegetables, fruits, and whole grains and cutting back on highly refined grains can also help.

Try to get 150 minutes per week of moderate intensity activity, such as brisk walking. If that’s daunting, know that even a little activity can make a big difference in lowering blood sugar levels. Short but frequent walking breaks—as brief as a minute and forty seconds every half hour—can lower blood sugar. So can taking a walk after a meal.

And it doesn’t always have to be official “exercise.” Try taking the stairs more often, parking farther away from the store, and getting up and moving if you’ve been sitting too long. “It’s common sense,” says Dr. Nathan. “The more active you are and the less sedentary, the more likely it is that your muscles can uptake glucose, and the insulin you make will be more effective.”


Also helpful is cutting back your intake of highly refined carbohydrates, especially foods with added sugars such as sucrose, high fructose corn syrup, and also molasses, cane sugar, corn sweetener, raw sugar, syrup, honey or fruit juice concentrates. The American Heart Association recommends no more than 100 calories from sugar or six teaspoons of sugar per day for women, and 150 calories or nine teaspoons of sugar per day for men. If you’re in the prediabetic or diabetic range, you’ll want to work with a dietitian to determine your exact needs."

Yes, I think that's doable especially now that I don't worry I'm going to die every time I go for a walk, lol. The cardiologist who did my stress test yesterday actually said that I did much better than the norm for a woman in my age range....yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment