Sunday, November 24, 2013

What's Cookin'

Homemade chicken soup for lunch today. Not only was it a very appropriate dish for this chilly and blustery day but it was also delicious if I do say so myself.

I bought a family pack of chicken breasts and put them in the crockpot yesterday with a can of low fat/ low sodium chicken broth. When the chicken breasts were done, I removed them from the crock, skimmed off the excess fat that the chicken had left behind and then added another can of broth, chopped red potatoes, sliced carrots, celery, green pepper and corn kernels. I also added numerous spices but I can't remember exactly what. I cooked all of that over night and then about thirty minutes before lunch, I shredded two of the chicken breasts into the soup and let it cook until warm....then ATE it! It was very good.

That used only a quarter of the chicken breasts. I used two more of them last night to make a nacho casserole with chopped tomatoes and peppers added and layered with beans and cheese. The remaining half of the package of chicken will go into making barbecue tomorrow night. I'll serve it with roasted sweet potatoes and a kale salad.....double yum and all very healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment