Saturday, February 1, 2014

Dinner Feb. 01, 2014

oven baked salmon (layer of sliced lemons, salmon, drizzle of olive oil and garlic, herbs and spices..bake 20 minutes at 350) spinach, arugula and romaine greens topped with cucumber and avocado with a dressing made with no fat Greek dressing, ranch mix, taco mix, chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro and hot pepper.
A friend recently asked me where I get my recipes. Here is what I told her. I usually just improvise. When I stopped eating gluten about three years ago, I had to get creative. Now that I'm trying to cut out all sugar and processed foods, I'm having to become even more inventive. With the salmon, I saw a recipe online sometime ago for shrimp made in the oven with sliced lemons. I changed it by using coconut oil instead of butter which I thought made it better because the coconut oil has a more subtle but slightly sweet flavor. I thought why not try making salmon that way but substituted olive oil since it seemed a better match for the fish. As for seasoning, I cheat a bit and almost always use either or both Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb or a variety of Joe's Dirt both of which are gluten free. The salad dressing came from me trying to kick up my usual veggie dip a bit by adding the tomatoes and hot peppers and then I decided to add the cilantro and onions to make it more of a pico de gallo. As for the salad itself, I love salads because they are like playing with my food. The avocado is something I've been adding to everything since learning its nutritional and diet benefits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment