Thursday, April 10, 2014

On Design

Okay, I'm just about ready to get back on the straight and narrow path with my diet and exercise. I think my recovery from the bug from hell is almost complete and well, I have no more excuses, haha. I have started off the last two mornings with hot lemon water but I did follow that up with a peanut butter and banana sandwich and two pieces of chocolate (chocolate slathered, p'butter stuffed pretzels.... oooooh, heavenly!!!) Notice how I hid the chocolate in there with the healthy stuff? Tricky old me, lol. Well, for Throwback Thursday, I'm posting two photos from 26 years ago. I know that this sounds like a cliche, especially to those under 45, but trust me, one day soon, you will be asking this question, too...where did the years go?
 

Now the rant on design these days. I've often wished I'd listened to Mama's advice about a lot of things but one big one was to get a degree in interior design. It not only would have saved me a lot of wandering about scholastically and never finishing a degree in anything resulting in what I call, a smidgen of ignorance in every subject under the sun but no real knowledge, lol, but it also would have put me into something I really love and enjoy.....BUT I did end up doing something I loved and enjoyed for years even if it took me stepping away for a few years to realize and appreciate the fact that I love and enjoy it and the world is overrun with interior designers these days both professionally and amateur. Which brings me to what I was thinking about while watching that new design competition on NBC on Monday night. The teams were given two family vacation cabins to remodel. Overall they did a great job and the designs were beautiful but after hearing an older gentleman from the neighborhood review group comment on how the new decor was too "fancy and formal" for cabin living, I realized, much like their fashion design counterparts, how most of these high end designers create work that is beautiful but unrealistic for the average family. Shouldn't one of the criteria for redesigning a vacation home be functionality? Couldn't they have created something that was not cliche but still lovely and also able to stand up to children's muddy feet and rough housing or the occasional clumsy spill as well as provide a cozy spot for an afternoon nap? Since these are homes and not showrooms they are designing, shouldn't they be judged just as much on livability as stylishness? Personally, I think both are achievable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment