Thursday, April 24, 2014

Question of the Day

What is the most terrifying moment of your life....and the happiest? My first year in college, I was asked to write an essay on the first half of this question. I didn't hesitate with the answer, I described the night my mother died. My mother was brought back, she survived another ten years. I don't know that my idea of terror changed then though. It is always that first experience of any kind that can be the most terrifying and the happiest. 

I've often said that is the reason we don't experience the joy or thrill or even fear as adults that we often had as children. Part of these experiences always has to be the unknown. So, despite having now experienced loss and grief, fear and danger, happiness and moments of joy, there are few that exceed those firsts whether they were good or bad. 

With a life time of experiences behind me, it all becomes a bit jumbled. I have to sit and think a while and then quiet my mind to find the ultimate of either of these emotions. If I'd ever had children, I'd probably say what I'm sure many of you say, that experience holds the most joy. And I'm sure there have been experiences raising those children where you've been terrified. I don't have those though and so I will sit and think a while longer on the happiness. I may not come up with an answer but I'm sure I'll smile a lot just because I stirred the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment