Thursday, September 11, 2014

I'm going to talk about something very private today. My doctor just prescribed an anti-depressant for me . I felt like I was doing so well using exercise to lift my mood and make me more energetic. I was not only losing weight and becoming steadily fitter but I was starting to accomplish long put off projects around my house and with my work that I was hoping would get me back on track. The last time I saw my doctor  on August 18th, I had just lost my dear friend Huston and Dr. Mistry asked if I would like to try medication to help with my depression. I told her at the time, "No, I think I can handle it on my own. The exercise is helping tremendously." Those were my famous last words because the depression did not get better. It got worse day by day until I was no longer working out. Then I stopped making any extra progress on my life projects and was only getting done what had to be done. Eventually, I started sleeping later and later each day. I'd get up, take hours to get going, finally feed my horses, come back to the house to eat for the third or fourth time that day and then lie down and sleep until Steve came home from work. A dear friend who had battled depression himself finally came out and told me that I had to call the doctor. I did that on Tuesday and found that it was actually easy to explain my problem to my doctor's receptionist, Margarite, once I got past my initial embarrassment and reluctance. I picked up the pills yesterday. I am taking Citalopram which is a serotonin inhibitor. There are lots of possible side effects so I will be letting you know how I do with this. I have such a hard time taking so many medications because I'm either allergic or sensitive to it. I've already experienced one side effect, can make you drowsy. Drowsy does not adequately describe what happened when I took my first pill at lunch yesterday. It knocked me out. I slept sounder than I have in months and surprisingly, was able to sleep again last night. I did not wake up until 9:30 this morning! So, today, I will take my dose at bedtime and hope that, without interruption, I will wake earlier and refreshed. I am feeling a bit jittery, as if I've drank too much coffee, but I'm hoping that will pass. I will keep an eye on that. I asked my friend when I will get "happy" again. He told me to be patient because it can take up to three weeks to see full effects of the medication. He said that so many people quit anti-depressants because they don't see immediate results. So, I will try to keep everyone posted on my progress with the medication as well as what I hope soon will be renewed effort with my exercise and diet.  

No comments:

Post a Comment