Sunday, September 27, 2015

Okay, what day am I on? I've lost track. I'm still pushing forward but I've not been making the progress I'd hoped for or planned back when I began this journey. I should be happy for progress though. I've been stagnant for a long time and so any progress is wonderful! What day is it? Today.....and it is the only day I can plan on.......but it is day 58 in case you've been keeping track better than I have.

My Daily Health Challenge over on meandyouhealth.com was to name two things I liked about my body. I answered that I'm healthy despite myself. I've lost so many good friends over the last few years, three of them my best friends or bffs as the kids say now. One of them, had lived a full life and passed away at ninety. I still miss him terribly and giving him up was hard despite his age but the other two friends and the ten or more others that I've lost over the course of two years, they were all my age or younger. Cancer took my other two best friends. The world doesn't seem right without them in it and I feel lost without them. Still not quite able to deal with it especially since one of them was just a few weeks ago. Because of them and their sudden and hopeless diagnosis, I've started looking at myself differently. I realize, given that I'm over weight, don't eat as well as I should and don't exercise as much as I should and sit in front of this machine far more than I should...when I'm not watching TV or reading......, that I'm very lucky not to have any major health issues. I am grateful for that but I need to stop taking good health for granted and as a given. I know this challenge is more about body acceptance but I think my priorities have changed where living a healthy lifestyle is concerned. Now, I'm more concerned with being healthy than I am about fitting into a size four again....although that would be very nice! So, what do I like most about my body? Actually, now it is something I always hated as a kid, my sturdy, muscular legs. My dad use to tease me that I could play linebacker for the Green Bay Packers with those legs. Looking back at photos, they actually weren't bad legs then or maybe it's just that muscles are in fashion now but I'm grateful for strong legs that are going to walk me back to fitness. As for what people have always complimented, my eyes. I've always thought they were too large but that's what many find attractive about them. I like them because my eyesight is still good despite glasses for seeing at a distance...of more than three feet, lol. I'm able to appreciate this beautiful world, easily read the printed word, see the smile on my husband's face and the love shining from his eyes and express how I'm feeling to my friends with just a look. I've not always been very satisfied with this body I was given but now, I appreciate it much more than I ever have.

No comments:

Post a Comment