Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Mule am I

http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/21-Day-Workout-Challenge-All-Videos-41193620?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=fitness_newsletter_vChallenge_05082016&utm_source=fitness_newsletter&em_recid=puid0&ym_mid=1234579&ym_rid=13078670

The above link leads you to the Popsugar 21 day Summer shape up challenge which proved to be too challenging for me.  The very first video made me feel sick and I ended up spending an entire day feeling sorry for myself because I'm 60 and not 26. Then I thought of how it felt to start a new exercise program at 26....it was tough then, too. I remember my first "Jazzercize" class. I had a hard time keeping up that day. I had some friends make fun of me because they said it was easy and I was struggling but I got the last laugh on that one. Three months later, I was the one who'd stuck with it and I'd lost weight and gotten stronger, more energetic and pretty darn hot...if I do say so myself, lol. I don't expect to be hot at 60 but I also know that I'm not a quitter. I've just got to follow my coach's advice and start slower and lighter and at a pace that will challenge but won't leave me exhausted. My problem with that first 30 minute video in this challenge was all of the floor exercises. I wasn't expecting that. It wasn't the aerobics that made me sit down it was the ones that required upper body strength which I certainly don't have since injuring my left shoulder and my right arm. I also think this workout is designed for people who are already in pretty good shape...and sadly younger..look at the instructor, sheesh! So, this is what I'm going to do, continue walking, continue weights twice a week for my upper body (but lighter than before) and I'm going to find an aerobics dance workout for that 30 minutes that I know I can do. Then, as soon as my studio is finished (another goal for this month), I'm setting up my eliptical in there so I can move for ten minutes every hour. I'll let you know how it all goes. I'm not the old gray mare; I'm a stubborn ol' mule. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment