Friday, July 29, 2016

The challenge from my Daily Health Challenge today was to notice how music could effect both mood and energy level. Music not only effects how I feel but makes it much easier to keep exercising. There is a woman that I really admire, Earnestine Shepherd. She is the worlds oldest body builder at eighty! She looks like she is in her forties but the most amazing fact about this extraordinary woman.....she didn't start doing any exercise until she was 56!!! Now, she runs 8 miles a day, works out and teaches aerobic classes but when she started twenty four years go and after a sedentary life, she danced. She started with just 10 minutes a day. That is why I don't let a few people discourage me who think my 30 minutes for 30 days personal walking challenge is no big deal or not enough. It is my start and, even though my fitness coach also seems to think it is not challenging enough, in the current heat and humidity, it is for me if no one else, pretty darn extraordinary. Although my naysayers are few what they need to know is that I'm not doing this for them. I'm doing this for me and my health and because I have to start somewhere. For me that's pledging 30 minutes of exercise a day for 30 days. What I'm trying to do is establish exercise as a habit in my life, trying to reach the point where it is as essential each day as eating, sleeping, brushing my teeth. The people who are supporting me are many and they seem to be there everyday, reacting to my daily posts and encouraging me. Those are the ones I'm listening to because they are the friends who are happy that I'm taking steps to improve my health. And why this rant today? Because this morning's walk was tough. I was accosted by swarms of little bugs that covered me and stuck to my sweat wet skin. It was so humid that it felt like you could drown by just breathing. I really pushed myself yesterday and was suffering from a bit of muscle exhaustion. And the temps were already "up there" before sunrise. But, even though my pace was much slower than I've been doing, I kept going, kept putting one foot in front of the other and finished my promised 30 minutes. And at first, I was hearing those few who offered criticism instead of encouragement but as I kept walking, their voices were drowned out by all those wonderful people who keep telling me that I've got this. I thank the heavens for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment