Monday, August 1, 2016

Joy in the morning

Day 13 of my 30 minutes for 30 days challenge. This morning is going to be difficult. I'd rather just go back to bed and sleep and forget. I found out yesterday afternoon that a lifelong friend, someone I'd grown up with and loved, passed away on Saturday night right after his 60th birthday celebration. I'm heartbroken and so heartsick. Since the first of this year, I've lost my sister and two close friends to cancer and now this unexpected loss. It seems as if this is happening more and more. Over the last three to four years, I've lost some of the best friends I've ever had, people who shaped my life and probably helped shape me and who I am. It has been overwhelming, disheartening and honestly just depressing. Sometimes the sadness the heartache seems to be more than I can bear. After a night of tears and sorrow, I felt like my friend Buddy spoke to me. I felt like he told me that he didn't want me mourning his passing but celebrating his life and celebrating his homecoming. I recalled the last time Buddy and I messaged with each other here on FB. It was Friday and he was encouraging me with this fitness challenge. He told me he believed in me and he told me to keep going. I love you my friend, I celebrate your life and your friendship and the wonderful, talented person you were. And I will keep going in this quest to improve my health and life and I will remember your words and your friendship as I do.
I'll head out now and I'll do my 30 minutes and instead of dreading the heat and humidity, the tired and sore muscles and the just plain laziness brought on by lack of sleep, I'm going to try and relish each step and feel the gratitude of the blessings of this day and this place and this life.
This is all I'm going to post about today's walk but rest assured, I'm putting in my 30 minutes and no matter my speed, that is progress.

Psalms 30:5 
Weeping may spend the night,
but there is joy in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment