Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Took my last dose of Prednisone this morning. (a quick note here because I haven't explained my long break fully on this blog. I was feeling energized by the prednisone I was taking for a bad case of poison ivy and I wasn't aware of my limitations. I pushed myself too hard my first day back and I ran and I darned near killed myself....really, my heart rate was at a gallop and would not slow down even with me resting. So, I decided to put the exercise on hold until my last dose...this morning. :) )I'm hoping to start the 30 minutes for 30 days challenge again tomorrow morning. I may have to do Friday's walk in the evening because my husband is having some extensive oral surgery and I will be his driver and caretaker for a few days.
I think I'm going to miss that energy the Prednisone gave me but toward the end of the week, that energy lessened a lot because I haven't really slept well since starting the medication. The most sleep I've managed each night is an hour or two. At first that didn't matter because I was so hyper that cleaning house at 2am seemed normal. lol These past few days, I haven't been as energetic but I'm hoping that once the meds are out of my system, both my sleep cycle and energy level will return to normal.
I picked up a magazine at the grocery store checkout today. I don't usually do that since it is much more economical to buy the digital version but this magazine, The Good Life, which seems to be the creation of Dr. Oz had articles that really spoke to me. This issue seems to be dedicated to a lot of subjects that are very important to me right now. The first article I noticed was about walking for fitness, health and weight loss. It actually lays out a plan for making walking/exercise a habit in your life and keeping it challenging, too. That is exactly what I'm trying to do. One thing I noticed is that it doesn't push you to do the 30 minutes every day, especially the first week. It said, if 15 or 20 minutes was all you could fit in or all you felt like doing, do that. You just need to be doing something and getting out there and doing what you can. It did say to try and do your 30 minutes the next day or on alternate days. Also, it spoke about keeping yourself challenged by adding more time when you felt like it or starting interval walking around your third week. That is something I'm really interested in because it is suppose to not only torch the calories but also help your heart be healthier. I would love to eventually use running and fast paced walking for the intervals but for now, I think I would be wise to listen to the article and just walk at different paces. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm at the starting gate again. I have a bad tendency to expect too much from myself too fast. And, even though this is just a two week difference at most and not the twenty year gap I was trying to breach before, it still is starting over. So, I'm taking it easy...one step at a time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment