Thursday, September 1, 2016

The Key to the Puzzle

On Tuesday, I had my coaching call with my health advocate, Lee. We made a lot of progress as the concept of a mind-body balance finally clicked with me. I've been pushing myself to make progress, forcing it in fact. And what happens every time I try to force progress? I burn out and fail. So the plan is to slow down, do activities I feel like doing, challenge myself but know my limitations and don't force progress but rather, let it happen naturally. That progress won't be an extra mile a week. It might just be a few extra steps each day. He also gave me advice on my failed attempt to add running to my workout as an interval with walking. He told me that I could keep trying the interval training with run walk but do it at a cooler time of day, carry water and if I can only do 30 seconds at a time, do 30 seconds. So that is where I'm at, seeking that balance and feeling better about the possibility of achieving that than ever before. When I was in my thirties, I came very close to finding that balance. I was fit, I was successful and my life and lifestyle couldn't have been running better. I suffered pain and great loss during that time, too. It wasn't all roses but the difference, I not only handled that heartache better, even losing my mom which was the greatest loss and pain I've ever had, but my life kept going. The exercise and work actually helped me to cope. Now, it seems even the slightest bump in the road can send me into the ditch. That is why I'm striving so hard to find that balance again. But what I've come to realize is I've been trying to achieve that balance, the way to make all the puzzle pieces fit, the same way I did thirty years ago. I think I have to find a new key. It may be similar to the key from my thirties but it will also be unique to the 60 year old me. True, I'm not as strong or energetic as I was in my thirties, both losing weight and getting fit will take more time and I'm going to have to push myself mentally to get out of bed in the mornings...at least until I don't have to push any more. But I'm also older and wiser and more at peace with myself. I think....no I KNOW I can do this and I can achieve balance with my health (fitness), work, and life but it is going to take me a while. I have to be patient with myself and life my life coach, Cathy, told me, "Treat yourself with the same kindness as you show to other people. Like yourself as much as you like other people." So, that's what I'm going to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment