Wednesday, October 19, 2016

My most recent post to my Fit and Healthy after 55 (60,lol) FB page.
I'm so sorry for my long absence. I've found a lot of new health and fitness articles that I want to share with you all but I will try to spread them out over the next week so they aren't overwhelming.
Okay, where have I been and how is the challenge going? I've had a lot going on, work, illness, helping friends and making a few emotional breakthroughs and quite a few of those epiphanies that I often speak of.
As for the exercise, you know that I did what I always do: I start out with enthusiasm and then I over do again because the results aren't coming fast enough. When I overdo, I tend to burn out and crash at least for a few days. I am good about getting back up and starting again but it's hard to make progress with all of this fits, starts and crashes. Soooo, I talked to my health and fitness coach, Lee, yesterday. I've been talking to him for over a year now and I have to say that this was probably the most beneficial session we've ever had. Most of the things he told me are the same things he's been trying to tell me for months. The big difference, this time I heard him with both my ears and my brain. I think it's finally clicked, that little light that brightens up that big empty room in my head and lets me finally see the truth.
Truth number one: I make my workouts too much like work. I try to be ultra disciplined and follow a strict regime. Not only is that not any fun but it is the reason I keep making the same mistake over and over...the one I outlined above.
Truth number two: I have made progress and not just by learning what doesn't work but by being consistent. "What?" you say! I know, I've been trying for at least four months to finish one of my exercise challenges and establish a habit and I keep failing, missing days, over doing and quitting...for a while. That was Lee's point. Even though I miss days because of illness or obligations, I get right back on the horse so to speak. That metaphor serves me well. Ten years ago, nearly eleven now, I took a bad fall from my horse. I then became terrified of riding. I tried different instructors to try and gain my confidence again. One was super strict and concentrated on form, one had no structure at all and terrified me even more by turning me out in an arena with at least twenty other riders and it was a mad house, one only lasted one day because she nearly got me killed...long story that I won't go into. Then I chanced upon Brandy McDonnell(https://www.facebook.com/brandy.mcdonnell.5?fref=ts ) Her link will appear below and those of you in E.TN. who want to ride, should look her up. I highly recommend her. Anyway, Brandy just concentrated on getting me comfortable on a horse again and helping me to have fun riding again. She later told me that she saw so much fear in me during my first few lessons that she didn't know if she could help me but she and I kept going until the day that the light clicked on and I realized that I was enjoying riding again. Brandy told me how proud of me she was on that day. I would never be a highly skilled rider, one she could take to National Championships like she had so many, but I had kept pushing despite fear or pain or insecurity. So, I guess what Lee calls being consistent and what Brandy called courage was just me being stubborn and not letting fear or being discouraged stop me. I just keep getting back on the horse.
Truth number three: If I'm going to stick with the exercise, I need variety and I need to have fun. Not only did the walking and running become boring fast, I made it too hard by pushing too hard. I need to move but I need to take the time to smell those roses or the horse's mane. :) So, I will start working with my horses again. It's been too long since I've ridden them. I'll start out just grooming and then we'll start working on the ground and finally, I'll get back in the saddle and my horses back under saddle. During all of this, I'll be moving and getting exercise without realizing it. Also, I'm going to try to get my bike back in working condition. It probably will only take new tires and a little oil...I hope. And I plan to start trail riding on the bikes again. I always enjoyed that so much. Flying down a hillside on the bike or a mountainside always made me feel alive and free! In addition to those two things that will get my heart pumping again, I hope to start my hiking clue back up soon. The weather is cooling off and as soon as my weekend schedules lighten up a bit, it's off to the mountains. My husband is wanting to join me on the hikes so that will make it even more fun.
Truth number four: I met a woman close to my age who just in recent years became a fitness and nutrition coach. She gave me some great advice that I shared with Lee and he wholeheartedly agreed with her. I should visualize myself as having already achieved my fitness and weight loss goals. She said that what you imagine will eventually become the truth. That is so but also, those things that I've been putting off, like riding my horses again, hiking and biking again, until I'm fit enough or slim enough, I don't have to wait on those. I can start enjoying my life again now, today!
So, after another novella from me, lol, you know where I'm at. I've been working on a lot of emotional stuff, too. I've had quite a few breakthroughs in those areas. I know I've spoken before about my anger over letting certain individuals direct my life and how I feel about it, how I feel about myself. I thought about the fact that I probably gained a lot of my past successes by trying to prove them wrong. My therapist recently told me that I should continue to do that but, although I think she's great, this is one point I disagree on. I have a lot of people that believe in me and call me capable and talented. As with Lee's advice, I haven't really been listening to them. I just today realized though, instead of trying to prove the critics wrong, why don't I prove those who believe in me RIGHT? That is my new life goal and I think it is one that will make me a lot happier. My therapist has been trying to teach me how to deal with anger in a productive way...well, I think that's what I just did. Happy dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment